How to Hand Knit a Chunky Knitted Blanket
If you’re yearning for a cozy chunky knitted blanket, you might be tempted to do it yourself. After all, knitting is a great hobby! Even though it can be time-consuming, you’ll have something useful in the end.
The process of how to hand knit a chunky knitted blanket is not too complicated. However, it does require time. Not only to learn how to hand knit but also to finish the blanket itself.
Today, we will help you determine how much time and money you’d spend on this project. This way, you can decide whether it’s worth the effort or not!
Learning How to Hand Knit a Chunky Knitted Blanket
Learning how to hand-knit is the most important step of the process. Luckily, there are many free resources you can use to learn. YouTube video tutorials are one of the best ways to learn and there are many to choose from. The one you pick will depend on the pattern you want to follow.
Of course, if you’re a beginner, you should go for a simple and easy pattern to reduce the amount of time you spend learning how to hand knit a chunky knitted blanket. On average, it may take 2 to 4 hours to find and watch tutorials on how to hand-knit the pattern you’ve chosen.
How to Hand Knit a Chunky Knitted Blanket: Choosing the Yarn
When it comes to hand-knitting a chunky blanket, choosing the best yarn is one of the most important things. It’s also the hardest part because you want to stay within budget but also make sure the material is high-quality. Here are some of the best options to consider:
Chenille yarn is one of the most affordable options and it’s perfect for a chunky knitted blanket. This kind of yarn is thick, incredibly soft, and fuzzy. If you want to make a 60x80 inch chunky knit blanket, you will need anywhere from 12 to 16 packs of chenille yarn. Expect to spend $75 to $200, depending on the quality and color of the yarn.
Merino Wool Yarn
Merino wool is a popular option for hand-knit chunky blankets because it’s thick and super cozy, but it’s not machine washable. It’s also delicate and prone to shedding. If you want to make a 60x80 inch chunky blanket, you’ll need 11 to 13 pounds of yarn. You can expect to spend around $130 to $150.
Tube yearn consists of a cotton tube that’s filled with polyester or cotton. It’s meant to imitate wool. It’s heavy, soft, and cozy, and it has a great texture. For a 60 x 80 inch blanket, you’ll need around 11 pounds of yarn. You can expect to spend $80 to $160.
Hand Knitting a Chunky Blanket
Once you’ve chosen the right yarn, found an easy pattern, and watched enough tutorials, it’s time to get started. Learning how to hand knit a chunky knitted blanket can be time-consuming.
It can take beginners between 5 and 10 hours to finish hand knitting a 60 x 80-inch chunky blanket, so that’s a big commitment. You can make things easier on yourself by splitting the work into chunks and taking breaks in between. That way, you can enjoy the process and avoid putting pressure on yourself.
To help you understand the process, here’s a short step-by-step guide to give you a general idea:
- Take the end of your yarn and tie a tight knot. You’ll start by making a slip knot. Then, take that slip knot and reach your fingers through to create a loop. This is known as a knit stitch. Make sure you choose the right size because every other stitch needs to be the same size.
- Create a chain of slip knots and flip it over vertically so the back of it is facing up. On the right side, you’ll see a loop; take it and angle it upwards to begin making the first row.
- Find the small bump in the middle and pull your finger through it to reach for the yarn you’re working with. Pull it through and create a loop. Continue like that until you reach the end of the row.
- All the other rows will require the same process. The one thing you need to remember is to always skip the first stitch on each row. Every time you start a new row, always begin with the second loop.
- Whenever you need to attach a new yearn to continue hand knitting, you can either tie the old and new yarn together with a basic, tight knot or stitch them together with needle and thread.
- Once you’ve finished all the rows for the desired size of the blanket, you need to finish it off. Simply take two loops in your hand and pull the working yarn through to create another loop. Then, take that loop and grab the loop next to it. Once you have the two loops in hand, pull the working yarn through again to create another loop. Repeat until you reach the end and secure it with a knot.
If you want a fun crafts project, learning how to hand knit a chunky knitted blanket is a great idea. However, you need to be aware of the money and time investment it requires. Especially when you’re a beginner.
A 60 x 80-inch hand knit chunky blanket made of chenille will cost you between $75 and $200 and take 7 to 14 hours, including the time spent watching tutorials and preparing for the work ahead.
If you find that you don’t have the time for it but still want a chunky knitted blanket, Zonli Home has the perfect solution. This high-quality chenille yarn Chunky Knitted Weighted Blanket is exactly what you’re looking for.
It’s comfortable, super soft, stylish, and breathable while still providing a lovely warmth. The fact that it’s a weighted blanket provides many additional benefits. It will help you relax by providing deep pressure stimulation, which soothes your nervous system.
This chunky knitted blanket will help you get a better night’s sleep because it doesn’t only help your body relax, it also stimulates the production of feel-good hormones and reduces the production of stress hormones. This leads to an overall feeling of well-being and deep comfort!